Traceroute is a computer network tool used to determine the route taken by packets across an IP network. Below is a detailed step-by-step procedure on how to do a tracereoute test on Windows, Linux/Unix and Mac platform.
Ping is a computer network tool used to test whether a particular host is reachable accross an IP based network. Ping works by sending ICMP "echo request" packets to the target host and listening for ICMP "echo response" replies. Usin the interval timing and response rate, it estimates the round-trip time between hosts.
In order to run a ping test you need to do the following:
For Ping on Windows:
- Click Start, then click Run.
- On the space provided for on the small window, type "cmd" (without the quotes).
- When the small console window opens up, type "ping domain.com" (again without the quote) and press enter.
For Traceroute on Windows:
- Click "Start", then click "Run".
- Type "command" on the space provided in the run window.
- On the newly opened console window, type "tracert " or "tracert " example: tracert cspacehostings.com then press Enter
- After the trace route has completed, right-click anywhere on this window and click Select All.
- Press Enter and the information will be copied to the Windows clipboard.
- Paste this into a text document (Notepad, WordPad, etc.).
For Traceroute or Ping on Linux and Unix:
- Open a shell terminal console or on the shell prompt, type traceroute or ping depending on what you want to achieve.
- example: traceroute cspacehostings.com or ping cspacehostings.com
- To break the Ping press Ctrl + C . For Traceroute when it is complete it would say "Traceroute Complete"
- Copy and paste result to your ticket or email.
For Traceroute and Ping on MAC OS X:
- Launch Network Utility. You can do this through Mac OS X Spotlight by typing Network Utility, and then clicking the Top Hit.
- Click Traceroute or Ping depending on what you want to perform.
- Enter the domain name for which you want to perform a traceroute or Ping of : Example - cspacehostings.com
- Click Trace.
- Select the results, and then right-click and select Copy or press COMMAND+C to copy the text.
- Paste the text into a text editor (TextEdit, etc.) and save the file.
- CSpace Hostings / https://cspacehostings.com